A Podiatrist/Chiropodist is a health professional who can assess, diagnose, treat and manage conditions of the feet and lower limbs. They have an extensive scope of practice including;
Assessment and treatment of common foot complaints such as corns, other skin pathologies, and nail problems
• Assessment of the structure, alignment and function of the feet and legs with appropriate treatment such as insoles, stretching and strengthening exercises to correct any abnormality. A referral may be made to a bio-mechanical specialist
• Nail surgery using local anaesthetics
• Management of patients at increased risk of foot problems such as diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis and peripheral vascular disease. Annual diabetic foot checks can also be performed.
• Advice on prevention of foot problems and how to keep feet in good health
• Advice on suitable footwear